During your first appointment, Dr Joshua, your Naperville dentist, will do a thorough examination of your mouth which includes your teeth, your gums, tongue and other tissues in the mouth. She will take x-rays to identify the health of your bone and tooth roots. She will also do an oral cancer check. Every adult should have an oral cancer check. With early detection, the survival rates are very high. Like other screenings, oral cancer screenings are an effective means of finding cancer at its earliest stages.
If you have any of these symptoms, please contact Dr Joshua for an examination:
- Any sore or ulceration that does not heal within 14 days.
- A red, white, or black discoloration of the soft tissues of the mouth.
- Any abnormality that bleeds easily when touched.
- A lump or hard spot in the tissue, usually border of the tongue.
- Tissue raised above that which surrounds it; a growth.
- A sore under a denture, which even after adjustment of the denture, that does not heal.
- A lump or thickening that develops in the mouth.
- A painless, firm, fixated lump felt on the outside of the neck, that has been there for at least two weeks.
- All these symptoms have the commonality of being persistent and not resolving.